Procedure for making a claim

The denunciation

Before embarking on a lengthy and costly claim process, we suggest you try to reach an agreement with your contractor. However, it is not always easy or possible to get along.

In this regard, the Regulation on New Residential Building Guarantee Plan sets out the procedure to follow for any claim under your Guarantee Plan. It specifies that, since January 2015, Garantie de construction résidentielle (GCR) is the only body authorized by law to intervene between you and your contractor and to make decisions about buildings registered with it after this date.


  • All claims must be made to the administrator of the Guarantee Plan, Garantie de construction résidentielle (GCR).
  • You are responsible for claims regarding your condo (private portion). The syndicate of co-owners is responsible for claims related to the common portions.

Any claim to Garantie de construction résidentielle (GCR) begins with a denunciation. To send a denunciation notice, you must:

  • complete and send the form to your contractor
  • send a copy of the denunciation form to the administrator of the Residential Guarantee Plan (GCR).


Do not try to save pennies: consider sending your notice by registered mail to have proof of delivery and receipt in the event of a dispute!

If the contractor does not intervene to correct or complete the work within 15 days after receiving the notice or if you consider his intervention to be unsatisfactory, you can initiate a formal claim with the administrator of the Guarantee Plan (GCR).

Your rights and obligations Contracts Preliminary contract Guarantee Contract Sales contract Co-ownership Divided and undivided co-ownership Private portions Common portions The importance of an inspection prior to acceptance of the building Inspection of the private portion When should you schedule the inspection? Why be accompanied during an inspection? How to choose an inspector? Checklist for an inspection prior to acceptance of the building Inspection of common portions Acceptance of common portions Procedure for making a claim The denunciation Claims Your Recourse Negotiation Mediation Arbitration Civil courts afficher toutes les pages

Need help?